PDF Creator | PDF Converter | PDF Software | Create PDF Send posts as PDF to

Share/Bookmark

Windows Server 2016: Running several instances of OpenVPN server?

Windows Server 2016: Running several instances of OpenVPN server?

Postby aaronpawlak » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:29 am

Hello,

Now that I have successfully finished my endeavor of setting up OpenVPN 2.4.0 Server on Raspbian Stretch I have moved to the next target, which is actually what I started with but gave up because of networking issues on Windows. The Windows Server 2016 is a much more capable platform than a Raspberry Pi3 so I want to use the RPi3 as a temporary server until I have gotten the Windows Server 2016 box operational.I came as far as connecting to the server from a client but then I got no traffic through at all...When working on the RPi3 temporary solution I found that with Raspbian Stretch there is a file connected to the service where one can configure several instances of the openvpn service with different config files. I used this to run two instances, one with all networking through the tunnel and one with only traffic to/from the remote LAN through the tunnel. Very simple with Raspbian Stretch (once I found it).

So now I have a question:Can the same thing be done on Windows Server 2016? I.e. run the same binary in two services with different configurations...
Is this described somewhere?I found a Balabit KB entry How to use OpenVPN as service on Windows but it does not say which version of Windows or OpenVPN and it is pretty old.
But according to this document it seems like simply putting several conf files in the Program FilesOpenVPNconfig directory will make the service controller start one instance of openvpn for each conf file it finds.Is it that simple still?

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=25166
Custom animation service

Thanks
aaronpawlak

Share/Bookmark